Just a day after my last post, I had my daughter, Aubrey wondering why I hadn't posted anything and begging me to write something. I told her we were just living life--mundane! There aren't any big details to share, but we have had a special week just being a family. Mahaela just feels like she fits completely. It really has been a dream--she's been a dream. She is getting better with the slapping, challenging behavior. We can see that she is very correctable. Things don't quite seem to be escalating to the point they did that first week. She has given some dirty looks--fiery-dart eyes, some pushes, some slaps, but they are less frequent. I think the behavior is a little comical to others. She will go from a dirty look to me to the biggest grin to someone else. At dinner with family Wednesday night, she got in trouble from Bill for pushing me away. I wasn't even touching her, she was sitting in her own chair, and she still pushed me away. She tried it again and glanced at Bill first. He was still looking at her so her shove became a hug. So she is learning.
She is learning and using lots of words. She repeats a lot of English words. We can tell she will not hold her language for very long at all. I actually think it is sad...it's such a part of who she is now, and something she will never get back. She loves to talk on the phone and we need to record her having a little conversation in Bulgarian. It's so cute.
We still need to get her blood drawn and chest xray. She is about to finish her antibiotic for the ears and she seems to feel well. This am her hands and lips were blue and Bill seemed a bit concerned, wondering what her pulse-ox was?? We thought maybe she was a bit cold. Bill got her dressed and put a hoodie on her and her color did improve after a while. Just a little interesting.
We are enjoying just getting to know her. She just feels part of our family. Jake the other day commented that she smelled like us now. He thought she smelled different when we got home (although we all smelled a bit "different" after staying in an apartment and hotels for 10 days.) I just thought that was pretty observant. I completely understand what he means though. There were things about her that were not like my other kids--things that made me feel like I didn't know or recognize her--things like the shape of her hands and fingers or toenails. Now they are becoming so familiar, so Mahaela.
Family starts coming in tomorrow, so our week will be set into motion. It will be crazy and fun. I'm pretty happy that so far, I have kept my head about me, which isn't always the case!
Merry Christmas!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I have to say, the first thing I noticed(and expected) was that Ava wouldn't smell like my kids..funny! Plus, she REALLY did smell like ham and potatoes for a LONG time! Also, Ava is TERRIFIED of the phone! She runs crying if she hears Daddy talking through the phone;)! Have to say, I still struggle with the whole, she doesn't have "our" fingers, toes, etc....so glad you're NOT experiencing this! Praying for a good doctor's report after the bloodwork!
glad for the update, I check regularly. scary about her being blue. We are checking into health insurance coverage this week for our 'special needs'. Still waiting, enjoy your xmas with your new addition:)
Post a Comment