Today Mahaela awoke happy just as her nurses said she would. She has not gone great guns for breakfast since the first day. I don't push it, she just grazes. We found out early that we would have our Embassy interview at 2pm. We had decided we needed to cut back a little today. The slap fest that went on Wednesday was in part due to us being out a bit too much Wednesday. We hung around the apt. for a few hours in the morning and then went out for about 1.5 hours. M. loves the Ergo carrier that I borrowed for the trip (thank you, Leah!) She was content to be in it and we didn't get her out. She ate lunch on Bill's back. She had a deconstructed sandwich and a little cheese pizza! She does love meat! We shopped at little at the Hilo Market (now I am forgetting if that is how it is spelled?). I bought a few souvenirs--We owed Jake a tshirt that we failed to get on the first trip. I could buy so much more...but restraint has been prevailing.
By the time we were leaving the market, she had been sucking her thumb quite a bit and laying her head down on Daddy. We knew she was tired. And then the random slapping--just slapping Bill's shoulders as we walked back. Bill was afraid the whole afternoon would go down hill from there. But we had just enough time to squeeze a little nap in for her. She fell asleep quickly and got an hour nap before our ride came to take us to the Embassy.
The trip to the Embassy in all took about an 2 hours, door to door. The interview was simply formality and they seemed genuinely happy for us and interested in our experience--they were both women! Rosi will pick up our Visa Friday at 2pm. Then it is officially over--everything we need to bring her home! I was cringing a bit at the Embassy as M. buddied up to the complete stranger/man. She really is endearing--she must be because people stop to talk to her and give her lots of attention. To scoop in would result in a tantrum, so I just let it be. We are competing with the language issue. They think she is cute and can speak her language--she can't understand us and it seems like we say "no" a lot. So, we let her have her moment, but this won't continue state side. But, she was interacting so cute with these different people, talking to them. I am thankful that when she tried to give another man a kiss, he just blew one to her! So the fact that she was happy, made our long wait at the Embassy easy.
We got back to the apt. a little after 4pm and Mahaela and I stayed in for the night. Bill and Aubrey went out for a little shopping and brought back dinner. She had a good night, with very little slapping, and lots of rough-housing. She certainly tolerates a lot of activity, maybe breathes a little faster by the end. She had lots of horsey rides and gave some, too. It was play time/rough housing in Bill fashion--the kind that wears you out just watching it. So by the end, she was tuckered out and ready for bed. We got her ready for bed and gave her a benadryl. We were all laying in the bed and she was standing at the door telling us no, that she didn't want to go to bed. The door frame was already holding her up, let alone as the Benadryl kicked it. We wanted to make sure she responded well to it, before we tried it on any of the flights. It worked and made such a difference. She had basically sounded more "croupy" throughout the day. She coughed a ton the night before and just sounded so juicy, like post nasal drip was getting to her.
So a little Benadryl seemed to dry her up and completely stopped the night coughing. She went to sleep great, without crying more than a whimper. It is now 4 am and she is sleeping quietly.
We have all her court decree information. It is very interested to read. One thing I find very interesting, that I didn't know would happen in an international adoption, is that her parents are named. Knowing what her birth name is, which was given by the birth parents, didn't make it a stretch to be able to track who her parents are--she had their family name. It gives their names and birthdates. I asked why it would be made public information. The new family law allows for adopted children to request information about their birth parents through the courts. I think it is always a good thing to have the option for the future, but realize it is often not beneficial to access it.
Oh, almost forgot...Mrs. Toncheva made arrangements between Rosi and I to call and speak with M. Maybe I already blogged this?? But while we were in the car on our way to the Embassy, she called to speak to M. It was not upsetting for M., which I suppose it could have been. She just listened to her and then told her a couple times that she is doing good. Mrs. T. said goodbye to us and wished us safe travels. Rosi said she would really like to see photos of Christmas, which I am happy to send their way. I assumed it would be hard for her nurses and I guess it really is. I'm not sure what staff turnover is like at these orphanages, but I am happy to keep up with whoever is still there over the years. It would be so neat for us to be reunited with them someday.
Looking forward to our last day in Bulgaria. Looking forward to seeing my kids and having them meet their little sister!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Shell, Thanks so much for the note about hearing our name at the Embassy!!! Isn't such a small world?
I have been catching up on your trip and am just so happy for you all and so in love with that little girl you have!!! She looks like she just has spunk in her spirit!! I think God has been preparing her heart for you all for awhile now. :-) I'll be praying for all to go well and for tons of supercharged energy on your part to get through the next few days and weeks!
Lori
That is good to know, Chris and I have been talking about what we would like to do about our 'future' son's birthparents, whether to contact them and send them pictures, to find them etc. So what do you think of the food, is it difficult to order by yourselves and get around, or do you find most people speak English?
Yay, home soon!!!! We will wave to you in the air! Hope the weather is holding up that way :)
Post a Comment