Thursday, April 7, 2011

Signs of Progress

Mahaela's doctor was happy with the progress she seems to be making while not eating/drinking (NPO). She had less drainage out of the chest tube. He said we would continue the NPO for 3 days...I really don't know if that meant 3 more days or 3 days total. After that, we would then introduce liquids and food again, hoping that the tube would not have any increase in drainage. If the drainage doesn't increase after eating a normal, low fat diet, then they will pull the tube and she will go home. He explained it so matter of fact and simply. He said she could possibly go home in 5 days...do I believe him??? Not really. But God can do it. He can stop this drainage. I know he will and we will just gain what He wants us to learn in the waiting. M. had less pain today. She required morphine once in the night and once in the late morning. She has slept a lot today...so much so that I'm not sure what our night will look like. She walked just once today. I was hopeful a couple hours ago that we could walk again since she has had good naps, but about the time I said it, she was asleep again. I think the extra sleep has made it easier for us all to tolerate her not being able to eat. She has been very irritable and wanted little to do with me today. I don't blame her at all for feeling lousy and fed up with it all. We are praying for more progress tomorrow...and then the next day...and the next day...and the next day.

2 comments:

Miss Hauter said...

So good to hear! Our hearts our heavy for Mahaela! Praying for strength for you all and some goooood sleep:)!
Love ya!

Renae said...

Praying for more good news today!:)