Mostly to our family and friends:
In reference to our adoption, this question was asked of us...It began with "Have you considered...?" It was in reference to something specific and it was not asked by anyone that we consider to be family or dear friend. The bottom line is...have we considered what this will cost?
The answer is "YES!!!" To be honest only Bill really considered the facet that we were being asked to consider. I had considered the question, but it was so quickly dismissed in my mind.
This is what I did consider...I considered how this adoption might affect my comfort, my life, my children, my husband, my marriage, my future, my relationships, my soul.
Then I considered how our adopting a child would affect all those around me that I love--especially how it would affect each of my children. In thinking through all these things to consider, I needed to hear if what we thought God was asking us to do was actually God--His leading. God did not deviate--when He called, He called.
Have we considered the COST? The adoption of our little girl may cost us dearly. The financial cost is nothing--it's like buying a car. I've bought a few, I know we will pay it off! (I do understand that buying a car is significant money, but most people still afford themselves the luxury.) It's not money that I'm talking about. It will most certainly cost us comfort and will certainly change many things in our lives...But God is in it, so whatever the cost, the blessing of obedience will far outweigh the price we are asked to pay.
I think about our decision to have Lindsey. We wanted a fourth child and had always planned to have a fourth child, but I remember very clearly thinking and saying that I could not do it without our friends and family. Maybe some would say that if you can't do it alone, you should maybe not do it at all. As I have said before, I have prayed many times with Lindsey and thanked God for giving her to our family--she is a joy. I hope we don't make these decisions selfishly, but instead willingly accept the children God has for our family.
I can't help thinking how much better and more joyful our life is because friends and family share in our burden and responsibility of raising our children. Bill and I and our children all benefit from our dear friend's and family's love and involvement in our lives. We are all better because you pray for us, visit us, babysit while we leave for a night or a week, drive carpool, give rides, send cards, sit on sidelines, cheer, share a meal with us, clean our messes--the list could go on forever. There is bringing up a child, and then there is BRINGING UP A CHILD. Those we love have helped us without a doubt to BRING UP A CHILD.
So I have considered what it will cost all of you for us to bring another child into our family. If you all continue as you have, it will cost you something for sure. My prayer is that the blessing of our little one in your life will be your reward.
Thank you for all you mean to us and all you do for us. We love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
ohhhhhhhhhh, this hits a nerve. I have had so many people ask what it costs and then act like we are crazy when they learn the answer. I have often said that I could buy a new van or give a child who needs a loving family, a family who will love and cherish them! That seems to leave them silent!!!
I'm with ya sister! Thanks for re-focusing ME today:)!
Grrrrr!!! It is about what is important in your life. Some people may like to have the biggest house or the newest car! We wanted to change the lives of children and be a family! So we gave up the big house and the newest stuff! But we have a lot of laughter and fun:) We are better people for our children.
Post a Comment