It's Memorial weekend. It's also a milestone day for us. 6 months ago we picked up Mahaela and walked down those orphanage steps and haven't looked back! I could just cry thinking of that day. I have been questioning Mahaela a lot about the details of her life in the orphanage. She says nothing about her time there. I wonder if she can even think "I didn't have a mommy then, and now I do." I'm sure her young mind can't really wrap around what has happened to her. I know she had happy times and was loved at the orphanage, but she simply can't hold these memories--she was a two year old.
Also, 2 months ago she had her open heart surgery. She is doing fabulous. In the past 2 weeks, she has seen both her cardiologist and her surgeon. She also had an echocardiogram. They all agree that she is doing great. We were able to stop her lasix. She takes an antibiotic, aspirin, heart medication, and vitamin every day. They believe she can be weaned off of her heart med in about 6 months since she did not require any heart meds before her surgery. She recently had another ear infection which required us to change her antibiotic for 10 days. In spite of these minor things, she is the picture of health! Praise the Lord. She has energy and stamina that is at or above the level of any 3 year old. She loves the "jumpoline"--which we agree is a much better name than trampoline! She plays outside as often as she can. Tomorrow she will experience our pool for the first time. It is supposed to be a beautiful, sunny day. She will have to be slathered in sunscreen, but it's gonna be so fun!
I have been imagining this sweet little girl with sweaty curls and a dinky little swimsuit running around this place--those days are finally here.
She has been such a good girl. She has a tender heart, but at the same time gets so mad. She's mad, but she wants to say sorry. She really has been so easy. She loves to sleep with us--and we love it to. Last night she slept with Aubrey (and Ryan, too). She loved getting to do that. I went in to wake them for church and she was awake, just laying between them. It was pretty cute. Today she walked out after her nap and had a head full of sweaty curls, and says, "I just woke up." She says that all the time, with the cutest smile on her face--a true bedhead!
Well, I just wanted to give a quick update. I'm so thrilled that so many of my Bulgaria-to-adopt friends are getting close to picking up their sweeties also. It's a great joy to see others experience the miracle of adoption just as we have. It's amazing. It's a smile forever stamped on my heart!
Mahaela 3 1/2 years old
Next stop--POTTY TRAINING! I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm a big quitter! (which is why I'm reluctant to even begin!!)


5 comments:
Thanks for the update and the pics! She is such a cutie-pie!!!! Enjoy your swim - I bet she will LOVE it!!!!!!!!!
She is just adorable and looks like a little fire cracker! Skip the potty training for now... they grow up to fast and she will come to it when she is ready. It will make it that much easier. After pushing our oldest adopted son I wish I would have waited. The other came potty trained and it didn't allow us that extra opportunity to take care of him which would have helped in attachment.
Loved the update! Isn't adoption such a miracle in so many ways.
She is adorable and all smiles! So happy for you that everything is going well. Makes me anxious to bring my son home from BG, but it won't be long now. Two weeks and four days!
FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Crazy to think it was JUST 6months ago...seems like...well..she's been here forever! What fun it was watching her swim and jump on the jumpoline!! :)
Post a Comment