Thursday, March 29, 2012

One Year Post-Op


Video taken by Bill of Mahaela's heart

One year ago today, Mahaela had her third surgery to correct her congenital heart defect.  I am reminded of God's mercy to her for a full recovery. 
Bill is working today (he is an anesthesiologist) with the surgeon who performed Mahaela's surgery.  Our surgeon "reminded" him that we have an amazing little girl!  Boy, do we know it! 
As much as I thought that those 18 days in the hospital were such a blurr, I remember so much, with such clarity.  I remember how M. sounded when she was completely dehydrated...like the softest, squeakiest baby bird.  She looked bad, pathetic...but it was all part of the process to go through to heal her.  So many details etched in my memory.  I'm sure they will fade, but today I am taken back to that day.  This day, a year ago was filled with so much support and love and prayer from our family and friends.  It was really a special day--to know how cared for we are. 
1-2 days post op


Very dehydrated about 4-5 days post op.  Trying to decrease the fluid load to her lungs. 


feeling so much better


ready to ride out of there!

I won't relive the whole day...I blogged about the experience a year ago.  She has had a great year of health since then.  A couple ear infections, maybe a cold, and a couple fevers...all the normal stuff, but so normal!
I am reminded how blessed we are and how I can never take that for granted when I think of the little 7 year old staying next to our room in the hospital.  She was sick, just sick, with a similar defect as Mahaela.  Bill talked to the family a bit.  The little girl went on to be transferred to another hospital to be placed on the heart donor list...I never heard if she got a heart in time...Praying that she did and that she is doing well now. 
Thank you to all our friends and family for praying for Mahaela when she really needed it.

On an upbeat note...a couple stories:
On vacation last week, we were in a deli with the TV playing the show where the guy tries all these gross foods from around the world--Bizarre Foods (on the Travel Channel.)  He was eating rat, every bit of rat, in some SE Asian country.  I said to Mahaela, "I'm glad I live in America."  Without her even knowing what I was talking about or why I said that, and without missing a beat she said, "Me, too!"  Just made me smile.

Today I let the elastic out on her adjustable waist jeans.  When I picked her up from preschool she said her pants were falling down all day.  I asked what she did, if she had to keep hiking them up.  She said her teacher just made her go to the bathroom.  I asked if it was because her crack was showing??  She said no, to wash her hands.  Then she showed me how she had an itch and how easily she could slip her hand down the back of her pants.  Oh, the joys of being a preschool teacher!  (and how embarrassing!!--although Mahaela didn't seem to mind being called out for this poor judgment!)
TaDa!
Near Washington Monument in DC 3/22/12

Coming up soon...next week Mahaela has a check up at her cardiologist and possibly an echo.
Also, I talked to an attorney about re-adoption this week and will move forward with that...just to get that state issued certificate of foreign birth.  Probably have our court hearing this summer...think I have a new nephew that should join us...wouldn't that be fun?!
I know this may seem shocking, but I have considered changing the spelling of her name.  I'm so disappointed that no one pronounces it correctly.  But in the end, I don't think I have the guts to do it and I like how it is spelled.  Why do people butcher her name so badly??  MAHAELA...it obeys all the laws of phonics, doesn't it???  

1 comment:

Chris Haven said...

Hope you hear good news on her heart next week, we are also going in for Calvin to have a CT, and echo done of his heart.